Monday, January 9, 2012

Insert Foot Into Mouth

There are days that I literally can not stop with my sarcasm.  Today is such a day.  Never have I had sarcasm diarrhea of the mouth so bad to people that really... I should not be so linguistically free with.  Ugh.  I have a feeling this one is going to bit me in the ass.

So!  Among the several hundred non appropriate comments I made to my VP today, I also had the audacity to tell my CEO in my sarcastic way (as we were going to walk out the door and he was saying that he wasn't going to see us again until our show) "How will we ever get by without you??"  As soon as the words left my mouth I was hit with panic.  Really?  Did I just say that.... to my CEO?  Ughhhhhh.  I quickly added in "Man, I really need to keep my sarcasm in check... sorry!"then laughed my laugh and hugged him goodbye.  He laughed too and said... "No, no, no!!  You are so funny!"  and as I walked away I'm sure he muttered something along the lines of "how will you get along without a paycheck?"  I kid!  Although I'm sure that's what I would have thought if I were in his shoes....  Tomorrow will be interesting...

ANNNNNNYWAY.  No cooking tonight.  I got treated to some bourbon and coke and saltines with the awesomest jam EVER a la Kim.  On the way home though, I was reminded of this place I used to go to as a kid with my mom called "Fiddler's Three".  They had the BEST CHEESE SOUP EVER.  And I mean... the BEST.  So I scoured the internet to see if a disgruntled employee posted the recipe after all these years.  The restaurant is closed now, so far as I know.  But I found it.  A lady posted it saying that it was printed in the LA times.  Now here's the thing.  To make this soup right, you have to have the right cheese.  they say a quality sharp cheddar.  So now... the search is on for the right cheddar.  I am seeing some central market visits in my near future. :)  Here's the recipe she posted:






Fiddler's Three Cheese Soup

1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup thinly sliced celery
2/3 cup thinly sliced onion
2 1/2 T chicken soup base
2 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup flour
3 cups whole milk
1 pound good quality sharp cheddar cheese, grated (do not use pre-grated)
salt & fresh pepper to taste

Add the carrots, celery, and onions to chicken soup base mixed with water. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Blend the flour and 1 1/2 cups of the milk and add to the vegetable mixture, stirring well. Add the remaining milk and cook until thickened, about 15 minutes. Add the cheese and stir until just melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. It was served with a dark rye or pumpernickle bread and lots of butter. 



Enjoy!!!


XOXO


JA 

No comments:

Post a Comment